Saturday, September 20, 2014

Satara Misal - Stage 2

Hill Finishers

Bhari with the rest of the PTC friends reached at around 4:30 pm. The others got the hotel room. Bhari got our bags and settled himself as our third room mate. We had washed our cycling shorts and Tee shirts and kept it out to dry, optimistic about riding back after the run.

Elevation map
Now it was time to prepare for Stage -2, running the hills. The route 's elevation is as shown in the pic . I had no dreams of doing a PR here. And the journey back was uppermost in my mind as we discussed the next morning's ritual.

We had tea at a tapri in the city and then scouted around for some bread and bananas for the next morning pre-race fuel. Bought some bottled water and returned to the room planning for an early dinner at the hotel restaurant.

The hotel was some distance away from the start point and we were mulling over the best way to reach. Bhari volunteered to drive us down and make two trips as we were 7 of us. Fortunately two of us got a ride in another car as Sudhir a colleague's husband and his son were going to the start point as well.

The organisation of this event is impeccable and has grown from strength to strength over the past couple of years. With Warm up sessions, DJ Music, Drone cameras and water station at the start point,  it is clearly an event organised by runners (Dr Sandeep Kate and his team). The atmosphere is electric and the crowd was energetic and raring to go.

Brijesh, Sudhir, Rishabh, me, Vijay, Ashish, Prashant, Umesh.
Bhari is taking the pic
No political speeches and at 6:00 am and we were flagged off. We had pacers (bus) for the 2 hr, 2:15, 2:30, 2:45 and 3:00 hr finish . Venkat P and Nikhil Shah from Pune running group were the 3:00 hr pacers

I kept a slow pace while Umesh, Vijay and Prashant moved ahead. Prashant is a fast runner . I had predicted an easy sub 2 hr run for him. He dissappeared in no time. I had hopes of finishing between 2:45 to 3:00 hr.

Umesh and Vijay were running barefoot. I admired their resilience despite the unpredictable terrain. I had decided to run in Vibrams. There are many runners from the Satara Athletic Association running barefoot on this course and tearing downhill at high speeds.

panoroma - pic credit - Venkat P @youttocanrun
Ashish Arora was debuting his first run event and Brajesh and Bhari were behind me. The route was an uphill right away and snaked its way through the town into the road leading up to Kaas.
Uphill walking for some

Motivation
Music, cheering locals (a big difference from the inaugral edition) and water stations lined up the route. There were running related quotes which motivated the runners and kept their heads up.

Adequate supply of Music, water, energy drink and medical aid
The water stations had enthusiastic volunteers. They were opening up the bottles and handing it to the runners. Energy drink holding volunteers made themselves visible by extending their arms.
The medical personnel had aprons and pain relief spray with them. Perfect support and further evidence of a "by the runners" event.

Some runners were littering the beautiful roadside with their empty / half filled plastic bottled. Although the rag pickers are around to pick these up, runners should be sensitive to the ecosystem and hold their bottles / waste till the next water station. This becomes easy for the rag
A veteran runner does an impromptu jig with the music
picker to collect. Some runners w
ere throwing the bottle away from sight. I wish the organizers message this out BOLD in the goody bag next year.

I passed the 2:45 pacer on my way up and then saw familiar faces coming down. Umesh and Vijay followed on their down route.

Finally reached the half way mark, grabbed a banana and set myself for the down hill. Down hill does seem easy. Easy for the heart but takes a toll on the legs. I had no plans of hurtling down. Venkat, with the 3 hr bus was coming up and he stopped to click me and many others. I soon passed another 2:45 pacer going downhill. Bhari was enjoying the uphill run with his phone camera. He noticed me and turned his camera to record.

Bhari selfie with quote :-)
Sometime before I had started getting pain on my right ankle bone. This was an injury which I had recovered from a couple of weeks back. Any attempt at increasing the downhill pace hurt the inner area above the ankle bone.
I took a spray at the next water station. and got a little relief. Reached the base and the town area. A corporator had put up blaring music and announcement of his name along with his welcome message.

Venkat P@youtoocan run took this pic
The town road was now lined up with kids and their family. I like to hi-fi the kids standing with outstretched hands . Made suer I did not miss anybody not even the tiniest as some of them giggled and others shyly acknowledged my touch.

Another water station came up I paused for a second shot of pain relief spray. After this started increasing my pace as the road gradient had eased out although still downhill. I could hear the music at the end point and suddenly saw a huge group of  runners coming towards me. Enthusiastic kids in costumes joined me. This was the Dream Run equivalent of SCMM (Mumbai). Now the half marathoners had to look out for the small children and make their way. I was in no hurry and advised a kid whose lace had come undone to retie it. There were other finishers with medals walking up, encouraging their friends and relatives. Soon the last turn and the red carpet came in sight as I turned in to the finish point. saw the clock showing 8:36 and realised that I had out run my estimate. A satisfying run as I made my way to the refreshment area to get the medal.

Met Rafiq Somani who was with his Bombay gang. Some people were enjoying an artifical rain shower. The atmosphere was festive. Umesh and Vijay had finished and clocked a sub 2:30 while Prashant had made a blistering 1:50 finish. The others soon followed as we waited and rested.

The weather was sunny, no clouds, the body had endured a half marathon and there were headwinds on the highway back to Pune. I was in two minds - To bike or take the easy way.

on to Stage 3 - if you have reached this far :-)



No comments: