Tuesday, January 05, 2016

Birding in my backyard


Plum headed Parakeet Male (Sinhagad Valley)
Birding - I was introduced to this during my visit to Pangot in the North of India in 2010. Following this visit back home in Pune I started noticing the wide variety of birds outside my window. 
These winged angels are all around us and one just needs to be sensitive to their presence and I was immune to them so far. This hobby has taken me to many places around Pune as well. Some of them are
Pashan Lake, Sinhagad Valley, Bund Garden bridge, Kalyani Nagar- KP bridge, Aundh IT park river side, Tarkeshwar mandir hilltop at Yerawada and Kavadi Pat 20 km from Pune on Sholapur road. 

The following list of birds were seen in my backyard

1) Asian Koel
2) Common Myna
3) Brahminy Myna
4) Jungle Myna
5) Oriental White Eye
6 Greater Coucal (Bharadwaj)
7) Green Bee Eater (Veda Raghu in Marathi)
8) Gray Horn Bill
9) Copper Smith Barbet (Tambat in Marathi)
10) Golden Oriole
11) Common Iora
12) Great Tit
13) Red Vented Bulbul
14) Red Whiskered Bulbul
15) Purple Sunbird
16) Purple Rumped Sunbird
17) Ashy Prinia
18) Common Tailor Bird
19) Plain Prinia
20) Shikra (just once)
21) Common Kite
22) Black Drongo
23) Small Minivet (just once)
24) White Browed Fantail Flycatcher
25) Red breasted Flycatcher (Female) - just once
26) Blyth's Reed Warbler
27) Jungle Babbler (Seven Sisters - because they are in groups of 7 to 10:-))
28) Rose Ringed Parakeet
29) Bay backed Shrike (just once)
30) Laughing Dove
31) Rock Pigeon
32) Common Raven
33) House Crow
34) Sparrow
35) Pond Heron
36) Black hooded Oriole (from 2015 - sometimes)
37) Yellow Wagtail (once)
38) Oriental Magpie Robin
39) Indian Silver Bill
40) Scaly Breasted Munia



There are many more yet to be discovered, till then, enjoy the below pics from Pune
( more here )

Shikra outside my window


Blue capped Rock Thrush (Sinhagad Valley)


Brahminy Myna (Sinhagad Valley)
Rose Ringed Parakeet Male (outside my window)
Scaly breasted Munia (outside my window)
Gray Hornbill (outside my window)
Indian Robin Female (Tarkeshwar Mandir)
Asian Koel Female (outside my window)
Red vented Bulbul (outside my window)


Verditer Fly Catcher (Sinhagad Valley)

No comments: